Please use our help center for instructors while creating a course here.
Creation process description
These recommendations work best for MOOCs, but if you want to make a small paid or private course, it could be useful to you too.
- Register at the platform, fill in your profile, upload your photo, add information about you;
- create an empty course;
- choose a plan for this course. It will determine which functions you will be able to use. When the course is only available to you, you can use any functions, including paid ones, yet in this case you will have to pay for the course before making it public;
- make a course plan. Consider all modules, lessons and steps, decide on their format (video lectures, text materials, assignments). Then create modules and lessons according to the plan and name them;
- read carefully about course settings, fill the informational page of the course (course logo, general and extra information, knowledge requirements);
- think assignments through and compile them, assign points. We specifically recommend starting from assignments, as it is important that learners should spend at least the same amount of time on practice as they do on the theory. Except automatic check of an assignment, Stepik also has an option of manual checking and cross review (for Paid and Enterprise plans). If your course requires a specific knowledge base before the start, you should make up a diagnostic test for learners to know their current stage;
- create theoretical materials: record videos, write texts and upload them to the course. Use our practical recommendations;
- test the course. Check all theory and solve all the practical assignments (by yourself or a focus group). You as the instructor can invite people to be testers in the access settings (only for Enterprise plans);
- finish the informational page, establish starting dates. After that, you should start promoting your course in mass media and social networks;
- write a letter for learners and set up the automatic mail out for all newly enrolled;
- launch the course, support it and stay in touch with learners;
- if you work from a company or education organization and have its permission, upload its logo and your signature to issue certificates (this option is only available for Paid and Enterprise as well as those Basic courses that were specifically approved for that by Stepik);
- decide on what to do with the course further. You can close it for improvement works, leave for other learners to pass or relaunch. We encourage instructors to make their courses to be always open for anyone.
We also recommend reading and understanding our Conditions of cooperation before starting working on a course. If any questions arise, please contact our team.