After you've created your course on Stepik it's important to understand how to manage it and support your learners. To see the learning results you can use the statistics and reports of course. Read more about the statistics here.
Under each step, there is a place where users can leave comments. Usually, it is used to ask questions about the course or let the instructor know about some mistakes or issues in the step. You can answer the comments right in the comment section. The general policy is that it is prohibited for learners to share answers to practical assignments, therefore you can feel free to delete such comments. You can view all the comments under the section 'Comments' in every course.
For every comment you can:
- write an answer - answers by instructors will be highlighted.
- follow or unfollow - receive updates on the comment in your email.
- rate the comment as negative or positive.
- delete the comment, if the problem is solved already or if the content of the comment is judged to be inappropriate.
- report the comment to the team of Stepik.
Any moderator or learners can also subscribe specific lessons and step comments.
You can see all comments in a separate tab:
You can also export all comments as a .csv or .xls file in course reports.
You can communicate with learners through announcments. In the course settings, you can find the button called the button 'News', where you can create newsletters for all the enrolled learners. The messages will be sent to learners by email and will be displayed in their profiles.
A list of necessary announcements in every course:
- it's necessary to let learners know about the start day of the course and all the important information, including deadlines, assignment types and the content of the course etc.
- announce the opening dates of the new modules.
- identify the frequently asked questions and provide answers on them.
- provide comments on difficult assignments.
- provide learners with additional information on the content of the course.
- let the learners know about certificates and congratulate them on completing the course.
- let the learners know if the course will be relaunched.
When you send out the newsletter, each learner will also receive their own progress report in that newsletter.
1. Send the newsletter only to the people with a certain amount of points. For example, in case a learner can get a maximum of 242 points in your course, you can manage the newsletter so that learners with top 50 percent (121 - 242 points) will get a different message from the bottom 50% (0 - 121). Note that learners, who received 121 points will get two emails. To avoid that, try to set the percentage of the learners in a way that would produce a fraction when multiplied by the number of points (e.g. 49% and 51%).
2. Set an automatic newsletter that will be sent to a person at the moment of the course registration. It's very important to create this newsletter if your course is self-paced.
3. Set the date when the newsletter is supposed to be sent. By default, the newsletter will be sent the moment you hit the 'Send' button. If you want to send the newsletter later you can set the date. You can also set intervals between the sending the letter. If the box 'send announcement forever' is ticked, the announcement will be sent out every day in a given interval unless you stop it.
Note, that the emails might start to be sent out a bit later than the set time since they first have to be queued up and the email is sent with the speed of 2 emails per second.
You can check if the email looks the way you'd want it to look by sending it to your own email address (button 'Send example to myself')
You can create news not only for courses separately, but also in general for all learners who are subscribed to your page (profile) on Stepik.
Initially, the number of subscribers is made up of all learners enrolled in all courses you create.
Then learners can subscribe/unsubscribe from your newsletters regardless of course registration:
The users of the platform also receive various automatically generated notifications (https://stepik.org/notifications). If a user has a lot of unread notifications they will be sent to her email in bulk.
Notifications are sent out in connection with different events on the platform:
- 36 hours before any deadline in a module that a user is enrolled in.
- The starting date of a module of a course the user is enrolled in.
- A reaction to a comment.
- For peer-review and instructor review assignments: a new review or the grade for the assignment.
- If the user is added to a course as an instructor by her User ID.
Besides above mentioned notifications, the instructors receive notifications about:
- Every comment under her step.
- The fact that her report, gradebook or certifications were queued up or generated.