The settings of the lesson permissions:
Depending on whether the lesson is private or public, the learners can access the content in different ways:
1. Public lesson: accessible to any user of the platform (even unregistered). However, only registered users will have an opportunity to comment. The lesson is accessible through the search and through the direct link. Users, engaging with the lesson, do not automatically get added to the course as a learner.
2. Private lesson: accessible only to a particular group of users invited by the owner of the lesson. You can invite learner in the course menu by going to Permissions > Create new invitation link for learners
The settings of the course permissions
A course permissions have a few additional features:
1. To access the content of the course it is necessary to enroll in it.
2. The instructors specified as course authors automatically become the authors of each lesson included in the course and can edit them, even if they were not specified as authors in the settings of that particular lesson.
3. The learners enrolled in a particular course automatically get access to all the lessons included in the course even if they did not have access to them before.
Each course offers the users of the platform a number of roles:
1. Admin - the person, who created the course and has the right to delete it. If the course was created by one particular instructor he has owns that right. If the course was created by an organization or a group of instructors, they should create one joint account that would be permitted to create, delete and manage the courses. The admin of the course will automatically appear on the information page of the course. If you want to display multiple creators of the course on the information page you can add them by editing the information page. If you want your course to have multiple admins, however, you do not wish to display all of them to the learners you can add them through the settings in "Course permissions"
2. Teachers - teachers of the course who have the rights to edit the course and the lessons included in it, as well as add and moderate comments. You can add them by editing the information page of the course. The teacher should also fill out her profile for the display on the information page:
Comments from admins and instructors of the course are displayed with Course staff mark:
3. Moderators - instructors or learners who have the rights to moderate (pin and delete comments) but do not have the teachers rights.
Comments from moderator are displayed with Course moderator mark:
4. Testers – users, who can engage with the course and the content and comment on it before the official opening date of the course in order to test it. Find more about course testing here.
5. Learners – users, who can engage with the course and the educational content and comment on it.
For adding users and assigning roles you can change course permission settings in following ways:
- Add users to the focus group using their Stepik ID (in case they are already registered on the platform).
- Add users to the focus group using email (if they are not yet registered on the platform).
- Generate an invitation link and send it to users by other means of communication (it is generally convenient in case you do not wish to control the size of your control group).