At Stepik you can find massive open online courses, open courses and private courses (available via a special invitation from instructors).
Depending on dates and time limits, courses can be:
1. always open. These courses are always open on the platform, all video lectures, texts and assignments are available at any time;
2. courses with deadlines. These courses are available to users in a certain period of time set by the instructor.
Dates in a course
Each module (and the course as a whole) have the following options:
Open date – from this moment all the learners enrolled in the course will be able to access the lessons in the module, including the private ones;
Close date – from this moment, learners will lose access to the private lessons included in the course;
Soft deadline – from this moment, learners will receive fewer points in case they complete the assignment in the module;
Hard deadline – from this moment, learners will not receive any points in case they complete the assignment in the module.
Grading policy determines how many points a learner receives when completing the assignment after the soft deadline.
Three types of policies are available by default:
- no deadlines (deadlines do not affect the number of points the learners get);
- halved - the number of points that is possible to receive will be halved after the date of the deadline;
- linear - the number of points will decrease linearly.
Note that time deadlines are displayed according to the time zone configured in the operating system of your computer.
Please notice that if you sign up to a mass open online course after its previous modules hard deadlines have already passed, you will not be able to gain points for performed assignments and get a certificate. However, if the course is restarted, the performed assignments will be credited.