After you've created your course on Stepik, it's important to understand how to manage it and support your learners. To see the learners' results you can use the statistics and reports on the course. Read more about the statistics here.
There are several options for communication between an instructor and learners:
Comments under each step and solution forums
In this article you will learn about comments, notifications and other ways of communication (outside Stepik). For information on newsletters, visit this page.
Under each step, there is a place where users can leave comments. Usually, it is used to ask questions about the course or let the instructor know about some mistakes or issues in the step. You can answer the comments right in the comment section as well as make informational messages in News or Newsletters.
The general policy is that it is prohibited for learners to share answers to practical assignments, therefore you can feel free to delete such comments. You can view all the comments under the Comments section in any course.
For every comment you can:
- write an answer - answers by instructors or the Stepik team will be highlighted.
- follow or unfollow - receive updates on the comment in your email.
- like or dislike.
Only for admins, teachers, moderators of the course
- delete the comment if the problem is solved already, the answer is published, or if the content of the comment is judged to be inappropriate
- see all the comments from a learner
- pin a comment (point to the comment to see the button)
Any moderator can also subscribe to specific lessons and step comments in a drop-down menu in every lesson.
Notifications on all comments are received by admins, teachers, and moderators. Learners receive notifications about comment threads followed by them and replies to their comments.
Comments can be used for creation of forums. Remember that you can enable comments for any specific lesson (for example, if you made an exam module and do not want learners to discuss answers).
All comments can be viewed in the separate Comments tab.
You can also export all comments as a .csv or .xls file in course reports.
Notifications are sent out in connection with different events on the platform and can be viewed at https://stepik.org/notifications. Notifications are automatic, but you can use it in your work.
New unseen notifications are automatically sent to your email after a certain period of time (5 minutes by default, other options are 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours, never). Notifications are sent in bulk so in a letter you receive all the notifications within the last time period.
Notifications are sent over various events:
- 36 hours before any deadline in a module that a user is enrolled in.
- The starting date of a module of a course the user is enrolled in.
- A reaction to a comment.
- For peer-review and instructor review assignments: a new review or the grade for the assignment.
- If the user is added to a course as an instructor by their User ID.
Besides above mentioned notifications, the instructors receive notifications about:
- Every upper level comment under their step.
- The fact that their report, gradebook or certifications were queued up or generated.
Other methods of communications
Instructors can optionally
- organize a final meeting or lecture with the learners that gained the most of the points and received certificates with distinction
- hold webinars in addition to the course
- create chat rooms and communities in social networks.