We do follow GDPR/CCPA principles.
Information that Stepik collects from you (including Personal Information)
We don't need names. In this case account name will be something like "User 123435", so it's not a problem.
Stepik directly collects information when you:
- sign up for an Stepik user account and create an Stepik user profile;
- join and participate in online courses;
- purchase a service (for example, paid course);
- send email messages to Stepik (including messages to learner support);
- participate in user surveys;
- participate in public forums,
We need email addresses as a primary key for user identification in the system. We also use emails to provide basic service for learners, for example:
- reset password feature,
- send notifications about their courses (approaching deadlines, received reply to the comment, received peer/instructor review, in-course newsletter by instructors, etc.),
- if the user explicitly opted into marketing emails, then we also use it for marketing purposes.
Storage & Security
Users can delete all their personal data from Stepik using https://stepik.org/users/delete-account/ , and we delete logs and backups after some reasonable time (few months).
Delete account and Personal Information
To delete your account, use the link https://stepik.org/users/delete-account/
You will be prompted for a password to confirm deleting your account. Be sure to check if the account you want to delete, since you cannot recover a deleted account.
Stepik will permanently delete your Stepik account profile Personal Information from the Stepik Site.
Users can subscribe or unsubscribe from specific notifications (or even all notifications) at https://stepik.org/edit-profile/notifications.