Stepik app has features that are yet to be released in the web version. They can make learning easier and even more interesting.
Most courses on Stepik don’t have deadlines set by the instructors. In the app, you can set your own deadlines.
To do that:
- go to the course you want to set a deadline in,
- pen Modules,
- tap Schedule above the course syllabus.
There three learning modes available:
- Hobby — 3 hours per week,
- Standard — 7 hours per week,
- Extreme — 15 hours per week.
The app will calculate the workload according to the volume of the course content and will set deadlines for each module.
After you’ve created the schedule, you can:
- edit it and change the dates to the particular ones when exactly you want to complete each module,
- delete the schedule,
- add the dates to your calendar.
You will get notifications to remind you about the dates of the deadlines.
If you miss your own deadline, you will be able to edit or remove the schedule.
Please note that other learners and instructors can’t see your individual schedules.
You can set notifications in your Profile so the app can remind you to learn in the time you specify.
The app has gamification elements. You can unlock various achievements: for solving assignments in a particular programming language, posting reviews, receiving certificates, etc.; and share them via e-mail, in social media and messengers. The achievements aren’t displayed in the web version.
Unlike the web version, the app has a dark theme. To enable it, go to Profile and tap the gear wheel icon to open the app settings. The theme can be changed in Appearance. By default, the app theme is the same as the device theme (either dark or light depending on the device settings).
Sometimes, instructors use text colors that aren’t rendered well in the dark theme. Contact our support and will help the course instructors to improve the step.
In the app, you can download lectures, theory steps and descriptions of assignments to learn offline. The internet connection is necessary for assignments to be checked, but you can save drafts of your solutions to submit later.
To download data:
- Open the course;
- Find Download (cloud-and-arrow icon). It can be found above the syllabus (for downloading the entire course), and next to module and lesson titles;
- Choose what you want to download: the entire course, module, or lesson. Tap the icon.
- When the materials are downloaded, the icon will change to a check symbol.
To delete all the downloaded data, go to the app settings (Profile -> gear wheel icon), then to Downloaded content and Space management, and tap Clear cache.
To delete specific materials, tap the check icon next to the title of the course, module or lesson you’ve downloaded and tap Delete in the dialog box that will appear.